Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spinach Balls



Before I even made these I had requests for this recipe. Thankfully, they turned out as I imagined. This batch made about 24 golf ball size balls. I think I might make them a bit smaller next time. I made these and froze most of them in batches of 4. I plan to take them for lunch this week, but they will make fantastic appetizers or finger foods the next time I need either. I just need to figure out a dipping sauce that will go nicely with them. Here's the recipe, it definitely goes under successes in my books!
  • 2 packages of frozen spinach, thawed and drained but still moist
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 4 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 package of chicken stuffing mix (I used low sodium)
  • 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil (I used a combo of olive oil and roasted garlic oil)
  • Salt and Pepper
I added all of the ingredients to one bowl and mixed them together.


I formed them into balls by hand and baked them in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. I then packaged them up in individual batches and froze them.

I'm not sure how I will reheat them but I'm thinking I might just thaw them overnight and then toast them for a few minutes in an oven or a toaster oven.

I've been really struggling recently with cooking. On the one hand I'm feeling bored with all the usual recipes that are in regular rotation, but on the other hand nothing new has jumped out at me and I haven't felt very adventurous. I try to cook a big batch of something on Saturday night to do double duty as lunches and dinners for the following week. These totally fit the bill and they are a great departure from the usual batch of soup, pasta or slow cooked meat casserole.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the spinach balls (there's gotta be a better name) recipe. sounds delish! I'm wondering how it would work if you substituted cooked brown rice for the stuffing...might try that. auntie j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like a flavorful way to enjoy spinach. I bet these got eaten up real quick.

    ReplyDelete