Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fresh Pasta...take 2...and 3...and 4....



Yum yum yum!!!

My first attempt at making pasta with the KitchenAid Mixer. It went OK but I'm still trying to find that perfect balance to keep the dough from being too dry. I tried two different versions both were satisfactory but not perfect.

The first was a the KitchenAid recipe. It took me two tries, the first batch went straight to the trash, it did not pass go or even collect $200. It was a crumbly mess.

4 eggs
3.5 cups of flour (sifted)
1 tablespoon of water
Pinch of salt

It produced a huge batch of dough and I used it to make Bucatini in my pasta press. I have no clue what I'm going to do with all this pasta....especially since I'm not even sold on the texture of this batch, but it seems like such a waste to throw it out. I'll probably let it sit in the fridge for a while until my emotional attachment loosens and then I'll get Clutterbuck to toss it...its much easier for everyone that way.



The second batch seemed a bit better but still didn't really meet my expectations. It was a smaller batch though so it was much easier to hand knead (well moderately easier).

2 eggs
1.5 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of water
Pinch of salt

I used this batch to make dinner (pictured above). The bolognese sauce was the true star. It was a really slow cooked ragu with only a few key ingredients:

Large tin of diced tomatoes (drained)
Onions and garlic (finely chopped)
2 stalks of celery (finely chopped)
Bay leaf, fresh basil, crushed chili peppers

Simmered for a few hours uncovered and then the fresh pasta was tossed in to the pot with the sauce to finish cooking it all.



I think my next attempt will be my own made up recipe. It will look something like this:

2 eggs
1 yolk
1.5 cups of flour
tablespoon of water (as/if needed)
pinch of salt

I'll also start with the eggs in the mixing bowl and add the flour (the above recipes were done in reverse).

I'll keep you posted....in the meantime, does anyone want some "fresh" bucatini???

No comments:

Post a Comment