Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chocolate Turtle Cookies



Would you believe these are relatively diet friendly???

Further to my "Curse of the KitchenAid Mixer Post", I've decided I need to find a way to keep up with healthy eating and still be able to bake on the regular. These cookies were quite good and only 2 points per serving/cookie. I will change up a few things next time around but let me first recap what this round contained:
  • 1 cup sifted pastry flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup margarine (not ideal for baking but a bit more diet friendly than butter)
  • 1/4 cup low fat cream cheese
  • 1 large egg white
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Caramel candies
  • Pecan halves
So first of all I chose the wrong caramel candies. I stood in the candy aisle for a very long time (a dangerous place for me) debating over two different types of caramel candies; Mackintosh Toffee and Kerr Caramels. I chose the Mackintosh Toffee. This was a mistake because its so hard. It did melt while baking but it just sets right back up again once it cools. The softer Kerr Caramels would have been a much better choice. I also would have chilled the batter for a lot longer than I did. It was a really sticky batter and I ended up with more on my fingers than on the cookie sheet.

I look forward to tweaking this recipe again in the near future. It definitely has potential and they seem to keep quite well. This means they make great lunch additions.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, what amazing looking cookie. All that gooey caramel, yum. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog until tomorrow evening and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

    ReplyDelete