This was TO DIE FOR!!!! I'm not quite sure why I haven't made it before. I think its largely because I still forget that I actually like beans (which is the fagioli part for those who don't know). Yet another ingredient I would have turned my nose up at until recently.
It was love at first bite for Clutterbuck....the boy loves beans...perhaps a little too much. I used two cans of beans in this recipe. One I pureed to thicken the broth (why didn't I think of that sooner??) and the other I added whole. The rest of the ingredients were:
- Onions and garlic, finely chopped (actually pre-chopped...what a lifesaver!)
- Celery and carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cans of white kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- Chicken stock (or veggie if you want a completely veggie friendly meal)
- A cup or so of water
- A parmesan cheese rind....we eat enough of this that I have them on hand anytime I make a stock
- Bay leaf
- Tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Tbsp oregano
- Some parsley if you want....I rarely use parsley...it has little to no taste and does nothing other than make a garnish....in my opinion
- Short pasta. I used Canneroni but you could use anything
This will definitely make it into regular rotation at the Smart-Clutterbuck household.