Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pasta Fagioli



This was TO DIE FOR!!!! I'm not quite sure why I haven't made it before. I think its largely because I still forget that I actually like beans (which is the fagioli part for those who don't know). Yet another ingredient I would have turned my nose up at until recently.

It was love at first bite for Clutterbuck....the boy loves beans...perhaps a little too much. I used two cans of beans in this recipe. One I pureed to thicken the broth (why didn't I think of that sooner??) and the other I added whole. The rest of the ingredients were:
  • Onions and garlic, finely chopped (actually pre-chopped...what a lifesaver!)
  • Celery and carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 cans of white kidney beans
  • 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • Chicken stock (or veggie if you want a completely veggie friendly meal)
  • A cup or so of water
  • A parmesan cheese rind....we eat enough of this that I have them on hand anytime I make a stock
  • Bay leaf
  • Tbsp fresh chopped basil
  • Tbsp oregano
  • Some parsley if you want....I rarely use parsley...it has little to no taste and does nothing other than make a garnish....in my opinion
  • Short pasta. I used Canneroni but you could use anything
I pretty much just followed the regular soup process after that. I sweated the veggies in a soup pot, added the liquids, pureed beans, spices, parmesan rind, let it all simmer for a few hours. A while before it was time to eat I added the pasta and the second can of white kidney beans, let them cook in the stock and served it hot with some grated cheese on top.

This will definitely make it into regular rotation at the Smart-Clutterbuck household.

No comments:

Post a Comment