Thursday, June 16, 2011

Are You Even Ready For This?


Pizza...good times right? Wrong, if you're trying to completely avoid all carbs and starches like I've been recently. 

This is how I (we by proxy) have been eating for the last little while. High protein, no carbs and starches. It hasn't been an enjoyable experience, lets be honest. I have realized that if it was up to me and health/weight was not an issue I could live off of carbs and carbs alone for the rest of my life. Yes, I would miss chicken and for sure some french fries every now and then....but to never see a plate a pasta or a yummy pizza again is just too much to even consider. 

So....I did some browsing on the internet....another thing I couldn't live without these days. 

Ta Daaaa!!! I give you a completely carb free pizza! How is this possible, you ask? Well, it seems that a little egg and a lot of cheese can hold anything together. Throw some tomato sauce, veggies and a bit more cheese on it and you've got yourself a pretty satisfying pizza.

Here's the base recipe:

  • 1 cup steamed grated cauliflower (I used the food processor)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup melty cheese (I used mozzarella)
  • Seasonings of your choice - I used oregano, garlic and some parsley
I doubled this recipe to end up with a medium size crust (maybe 18 inches?). I combined everything in a bowl and then pressed it into a metal pizza pan (see pic). I lined the pan with parchment paper, but I don't think that was necessary. I also can't remember if I sprinkled the herbs on or whether I combined them in the bowl....either would work just fine. 


I baked it in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes until it was golden brown (see pic).

Next time around I might consider brushing the baked "crust" with some garlicky oil before putting the toppings on. You could do this and broil it again to end up with a yummy garlicky flatbread type thing. 

I topped it with tomato sauce and whatever toppings I felt like, then broiled it just until the cheese melted. 

It was brilliant.

I'm still in shock that it actually worked. 

Now, some notes for next time. This recipe includes A LOT of cheese. So, either reduce your cheese on top of the pizza or prepare to only enjoy a slice or two because of how filling it is. 

I would also LOVE to be able to take credit for this recipe because I know this is the first that my family and friends are hearing about it, but in fact, GOOGLE is the one to credit for this. All it took was a quick google search to come across several variations of this recipe. Nonetheless, I am still so pleased that it actually turned out and that I found it in the first place. 

Please please try this out and let me know what you think about it. I'm dying to know how it goes for you and if you adapt the recipe at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment